December 16, 2012

Crock Pot Potato Soup

I absolutely love potato soup.  Sadly, I'm the only one in my house who eats soup.  The boys are weirdos.  So I made a big vat of potato soup in the crock pot today and it's ALL MINE, losers.  Ok, my mom will likely have some with me, but how could I be sad to have a week of potato soup in my future, plus more in the freezer?  The answer is: I couldn't.  Especially with this awesome recipe, courtesy of my friend Mel, who shared it courtesy of this recipe.  Easy and amazingly delicious: hits the spot.  Though I had a hard time waiting for it to be done.  I wanted to dive right in a whole 18 minutes after putting everything in the crock pot.  Patience is difficult for me.


Ingredients
  • 30-ounce bag of frozen, shredded hash browns (I used Ore Ida)
  • 42 ounces of chicken broth
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 8-ounce package of cream cheese, cut into chunks (approximately 1-ounce pieces)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
  • Green onions, bacon, or sour cream for topping (optional though highly recommended!)

Directions

  1. Add hash browns, chicken broth, chicken soup, onion, and pepper to crock pot.  Stir and set on low for 6-8 hours.
  2. 1 hour before serving, add cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese.  Stir occasionally until both cheeses are melted and incorporated into soup.
  3. Serve with desired toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? Awesome! Have at it, rock star.