I tried a new cookie recipe yesterday and am very glad to share this success with others. It's a chewy, sweet but tart, light cookie that's perfect for summer (or the tail end of summer, as everyone is feeling heading up to labor day). It reminds me a bit of my chocolate peanut butter surprise cookies as far as technique goes, so I made a batch of those as well for my lucky coworkers.
The recipe comes courtesy of SewLicious Home Decor. I've only made a few edits to make the instructions a bit easier for me to follow. Enjoy!
Lemon Surprise Cookies
Yields approx. 2 dozen cookies
Prep time: 1-2 hours (filling needs to freeze before baking)
Bake time: 10 minutes
- 1 box supreme white cake mix (just using the powder mix; you do not prepare it as directed on the box)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (not butter)
- 3.4-oz box lemon Jello instant pudding mix
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare cheesecake filling, mixing together all ingredients until creamy. Spoon teaspoon-size dollops onto prepared baking sheet. Place in freezer 1 hour or more until set.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cookie ingredients (cake mix, eggs, oil, and pudding mix). Turn dough out onto saran wrap and refrigerate until cheesecake filling is set.
- When filling is firm, preheat oven to 350° and assemble cookies. Scoop 1-2 tablespoons of cookie dough and flatten into a circle in your palm. Place a frozen dollop of cheesecake filling into center, and roll cookie dough around the filling, being careful to close up all seams. Roll into a ball.
- Place balls of dough with filling centers on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8-12 minutes or until set. The tops won't brown, but the bottoms will.
- Remove from oven and gently press down each cookie with a spatula or the bottom of a cup to flatten slightly. Let sit on baking sheet 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
- Serve warm, or cool completely before storing.
Aaa! They just look so summery and yummy! I wish I could give you smell-o-vision, too.
Mmm- delicious filling.