November 4, 2012

Meatloaf

I seriously can't remember the last time I made meatloaf, but I can promise you it wasn't anything to write a blog post about.  I was used to the old school meat, egg, and oats approach to meatloaf.  Well tonight I went the Paula Deen approach, and what a difference.  I scoff at other meatloaf now.  Scoff!  Also, this dish must be made with mashed potatoes.  A good salad helps too.  But the taters, those are required.

Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 8-oz canned diced tomatoes with juice (I couldn't find an 8-oz can, so I just measured out 1 cup from a larger can)
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
Topping
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Mix all meatloaf ingredients well and place in a loaf pan or small baking dish.  Shape into a loaf.
  3. Mix the topping ingredients and spread evenly on loaf.
  4. Bake for 1 hour.

5 comments:

  1. I found the same recipe on food network by Paula Deen, bot I used bread crumbs instead of oatmeal and like it much better..... I' m not a meatloaf lover either but I have become a fan of it now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Mickie! I bet it has a different consistency that way. I think the key with this recipe is using the tomatoes and bell pepper. They make such a difference in the taste, and of course the topping is amazing. :)

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry it took you so long to find a delicious meatloaf recipe! I did not know anyone didn't make meatloaf likle this, I always havee! Minus the bell pepper because I hate peppers. yuck. This is on the menu tonight (:

    ReplyDelete

You want to comment? Awesome! Have at it, rock star.