August 21, 2014

Make Your Own Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino


I am craaaazy crazy about Starbucks, but need to watch my coffee budget more closely these days.  I've been craving my beloved Caramel Frappuccinos but can't stomach the cost for a daily dose of that sweet, caffeinated bliss.  I experimented at home today and sure enough, for the cost of 2 of these drinks, I can easily make 6-8 at home.

Starbucks: $4.25 for one tall
Home: $4.99 Vanilla Latte, $1.99 Caramel syrup, $1.49 whipped cream, ice = $8.47 for at least 6 talls

And I promise you, the taste is spot on because I used the premade Starbucks iced vanilla latte (sold at most grocery stores).  You could easily make yours completely from scratch with brewed espresso (you can buy tins of espresso instant coffee) and milk, but then your flavor will be different.

Anyway, here's the simple recipe!  Let the savings and cravings commence.  :D

Supplies

  • 4 to 8 oz Starbucks vanilla latte drink (vary depending on desired size and consistency)
  • 5-6 ice cubes
  • Drizzle of caramel syrup (I like the Hershey's bottled kind)
  • Whipped cream
Directions
  1. Blend latte, ice cubes, and a drizzle of caramel syrup in blender.  I first used the ice chop setting for about 20 seconds, then the liquefy setting for 45 seconds until the drink reached the right consistency.
  2. Drizzle caramel syrup in glass (or better yet- reusable Starbucks cold cup!), pour in blended drink, top with whipped cream, and drizzle with additional caramel syrup.
My tips: 
If the drink is too liquid, resembling a slightly more frozen version of the latte drink, add more ice.  
If the drink is separating into ice and liquid layers, you need fewer ice cubes and/or to blend for a shorter period of time.

1 comment:

  1. And here is where I admit I have only had 2 Frappucinos, ever. I just know an addiction lies down that road! :)

    ReplyDelete

You want to comment? Awesome! Have at it, rock star.