June 15, 2014

Ham and Cheese Pretzel Pinwheels

This recipe is SO easy and super tasty- the perfect thing for a quick snack, low effort meal, or impressive appetizer when your friends stop by.  I got the recipe from Tablespoon, and my only change was in the dipping sauce.  Rather than use the cheese sauce, I mixed up some honey dijon mustard with mayo for a milder flavor for me, and my husband doused his in yellow mustard.  I say mustard is 100% the way to go with these!
Make them.  Now.  :)

 

Ingredients
(Serves 4)
  • 1 can Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough (I like the classic one; Tablespoon used the thin crust)
  • 8 slices of cheddar cheese
  • 8 slices deli ham
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • Coarse sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup honey dijon mustard
  • 1/3 cup mayonaise
Directions
(Pictures follow)
  1. Preheat oven to 425°.  Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
  2. Unroll pizza dough onto a cutting board.  Top evenly with cheese slices and then with ham slices.
  3. Tightly roll up dough length-wise.  Pinch seams to seal.  This is important!
  4. Slice log into 16 equal slices.  Be careful to cut with a sawing motion, not just by squishing.  Set each slice on the prepared baking sheet.
  5. Brush slices with beaten egg, then sprinkle sides and tops with coarse sea salt.
  6. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly.  Note: My cheese always browns.  I'm not sure if a lower temp over a longer time would alleviate that.  I just peel away the darker bits, so no sweat there.  Just a warning/idea.
  7. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.  Sprinkle with more salt.
  8. Mix mustard and mayo until well combined and serve in prep cups with the pinwheels, or in a bowl in the middle of your pretzel platter.
Dough rolled out and topped with cheese.  I know I said to do this on a cutting board, and here I am showing you that step on the baking sheet.  Trust me, I was happier when I did this on a cutting board.  My bites also turned out better when I didn't jam cheese onto every square inch, and instead used just 8 slices.

Top with ham.  Overlapping is good in my opinion!

Log all rolled up and seam pinched.

Cut into even slices, each about 1-2" thick.

All baked.  See what I mean about some of the cheese getting really dark?  I just used a fork to grab the darker bits and peel off before serving.

2 comments:

You want to comment? Awesome! Have at it, rock star.