February 3, 2013

Yarn-Wrapped Letters

Coming down the home stretch for Valentine's Day crafts.  I saw this pin the morning of the last pinterest party with my friends, too late to be all stocked up on the supplies.  I picked them up yesterday, though, and made my own letters in the afternoon and evening.  I love the way they look, and I'm also happy that I only did 2 letters.  ;)


Supplies
  • Yarn in 3 different colors
  • Hot glue gun and glue
  • Scissors
  • Craft letters
Directions
(Pictures below)
  1. Figure out which parts of your letters won't be covered when you wrap the yarn vertically or horizontally.  For example, in my letters the tops and bottoms of the x couldn't be wrapped.  Cut 2-inch segments of yarn and glue directly to the top, leaving excess hanging over the front and back.  Trim the excess to be even.  Then run a strip of glue along the edge on the front and back and press the excess string down.  Pay attention to which colors of yarn you use, so that it will match with your ombre pattern.
  2. Wrap the vertical parts of the letter.  Glue strategically along the way.  Corners and diagonal surfaces may need a dab of glue to hold the yarn nicely in place.
  3. Wrap the horizontal parts of the letter.  Transition colors by leaving a long strand of color 1 loose while you start color 2.  After you have color 2 going an inch or so, wrap color 1 back around it to give the ombre look.  Glue the loose end to the back.
Getting all situated.  I used large white wooden letters from Michael's.

Step 1. Gluing the top of my x.  Cut small even strips of yarn, glue in place along the top, trim the edges to be even, and then glue the ends against the front and back of the letter.

My tricky spots glued in place and the vertical parts wrapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? Awesome! Have at it, rock star.