February 15, 2013

DIY Barrettes

Last weekend I was down to the wire on some Valentine's Day crafts, when a friend pinned this perfectly-timed craft.  I already had everything that I needed!  Well... most everything...  I didn't have the double-bar barrettes used in the tutorial, so I had to make some adaptations.  I didn't get the cute braiding in the picture, but mine did still turn out nicely all the same!  And hey, for a 4-year-old niece, she'll either love them or hate them regardless of the level of effort I put it.  I'm being realistic here.  :)


Supplies

  • Barrettes
  • Varying kinds of ribbon/yarn
  • Hot glue gun and glue
Directions
  1. Cut about a yard of each piece of ribbon/yarn you'll use on the barrette (I just made a length from my finger tip to my shoulder).  Place the barrette over the middle of the length of ribbon, and then alternate your ribbon colors back and forth over the barrette.
  2. Tie at end with a knot or bow to secure.  I then hot glued each end in place to hold it, and trimmed excess as desired.
[Alternatively, you can just wrap the ribbon around the barrette without any alternating action.  The middle one just has braided yarn wrapped tightly over the bar of the barrette.  Easy enough!]

No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? Awesome! Have at it, rock star.