Velcro on the shopping bag handle/neck piece so it can be adjusted as my son grows.
Ribbon sewn to the bag for apron ties.
My handsome devil model. He's just shy of 3 and very tall for his age. The apron reaches beyond his waist.
Side view. Shortened neck strap using the velcro and the apron strings tied in place.
- 1 vinyl reusable shopping bag- the kind with a slick surface, not the all-fabric kind
- 1 strip of velcro (1 scratchy strip and 1 soft strip)
- Needle and thread
- Cut the front panel off of your shopping bag, leaving the shopping handle in place. This will be your apron, and the handle will be the neck strap. (Bonus- you can make a 2nd apron with the back panel! I'm sending my 2nd one to my niece.)
- Fold the panel in half vertically, and cut a curve out of the corner to make it easier for your kid to move his/her arms while wearing. Look at my finished pic to see the shape I mean.
- Stick velcro on the inside of the top of the bag loop. See second picture for detail.
- Cut two 12" or longer pieces of ribbon. Sew one end to the apron and leave the other loose. Repeat on the other side.
- TA DA! All done. 5 minutes, I swear!
Alternative ideas- if I had a sewing machine, I would have used the bag bottom as a pouch along the bottom of the apron. I just don't have the patience to hand sew that much! The original post trimmed the bottom with pom poms for her daughter, and frills for her adult-sized apron. Also cute, but not so manly for my little kitchen helper, so I left his plain. Share your pics if you make one!