October 2, 2012

Chicken Stir-Fry Wraps

I can't say enough how much I love Martha Stewart recipes.  The flavors are just soooo good!  I always forget how much I like this recipe, and really should make it more often.  I modify it a bit to use less ginger (I really don't like ginger) and red pepper flakes (because I'm a wuss about spicy food), and I prefer green leaf lettuce for the cups.  It seems to cooperate better than the Boston lettuce.  I had apple cider with this dinner, and it was an awesome compliment to the spicy chicken.  Yum.  My way or Martha's, you're sure to have an awesome meal to pat yourself on the back over!

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, halved horizontally and then thinly sliced crosswise. I use two large chicken breasts, or four thin-cut chicken breasts (skipping the step to halve horizontally as they're already thin)
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 large red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger (I recommend using a microplane for the grating; I always scrape my knuckles when I try to use a regular grater for ginger)
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
  • 6 to 8 green leaf lettuce leaves (for wraps; about 1 head)


Directions
  1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium high heat.  Add the chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until opaque throughout (2 to 4 minutes).  Transfer to a plate.
  2. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan, along with the onion and bell pepper.  Cook, stirring constantly, until the onion is tender and golden (about 4 minutes).  Reduce the heat if browning too quickly.
  3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes to the pan.  Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (30 to 60 seconds).
  4. Stir in the soy sauce, vinegar, and cornstarch mixture.  Remove from the heat.  Add the chicken and any acumulated juices, tossing to coat.  Serve in lettuce cups.
Serves 4


No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? Awesome! Have at it, rock star.