September 5, 2012

Mini Frittatas



I came across this recipe from Giada De Laurentiis, one of my favorite Food Network people.  It was an instant hit with both my husband and 2-year-old son: the magic sweet spot of culinary pleasure.  As usual, though, I can't make it exactly as the recipe says.  One, I don't have mini muffin tins, and two, I don't always have fresh parsley.  So here are my modifications:

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray
8 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or until you feel like "meh, that's enough")
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup thinly sliced ham, chopped
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves (or 1 tablespoon dried parsley)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray 1 muffin tin (with 12 muffin cups) with nonstick spray.  Whisk the eggs, milk, pepper, and salt in a large bowl to blend well.  Stir in the ham, cheese, and parsley.  Fill prepared muffin cups with about 1/4 cup egg mixture each.  I like to use a measuring cup to scoop up the mixture, scraping against the bottom so I get a good bit of egg, ham, and parsley in each scoop.
Bake until the egg mixture puffs and is just set in the center, about 10-12 minutes for the regular-size muffin cups.  Using a rubber spatula or spoon, loosen the frittatas from the muffin cups and slide onto a platter.  Serve immediately.

3-4 servings

I like to use a spoon to loosen and scoop things like this because it can actually curve under the frittata, unlike the spatula.



These are a great breakfast for dinner meal, served with toast and honey like I did tonight.  I've also had them with hash browns, sausage, or bacon.  It's the perfect amount for the three of us on a weeknight, and only takes about 15 minutes to make.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? Awesome! Have at it, rock star.