January 31, 2013

Barley and Lentil Soup

I really like having page a day calendars on my desk, and the last couple years have opted for recipe ones.  My January 3rd recipe was for this tasty soup, though it pointed me to crock pot directions.  I wasn't in the mood for that so I just used my stock pot and ate in 1 hour instead of 8-9.  So there.


Ingredients
  • 8 cups (64 oz) beef broth
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed (I got to use my new mortar and pestle!)
  • 4 large carrots, sliced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup uncooked dried lentils
  • 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
Directions
  1. Stir all ingredients in a large stock pot set to medium-high heat and bring to a simmer.  Turn heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender and grains are thoroughly cooked.
**Alternately, mix ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-9 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? Awesome! Have at it, rock star.