January 13, 2013

Baked Chicken and Bean Burritos

A few years ago, my department at work pulled together recipes from our very talented employees and made up a cook book.  It was funny how quickly that cook book became the source for many of my weeknight staples.  My husband liked to tease me that for all the cook books I had, I pretty much only used 2: Martha Stewart and the one from work, haha.  Anyway, one of my favorites from the cook book is one from my friend Marian.  I can never find green salsa to pour on top, but otherwise I'm pretty loyal to her recipe.

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups shredded, cooked boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese (half of an 8-ounce block, when crumbled, will fill 1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 4.5-ounce can chopped green chilies, drained
  • 16-ounce can refried beans
  • 8-inch flour tortillas
  • Cooking spray
Directions
  1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and bake at 375° until cooked all the way through (about 25 minutes).  Shred cooked chicken.  I prefer to shred it with my stand mixer, set to medium for about 1 minute, using the metal flat beater attachment.
  2. Preheat the oven to 500°.
  3. Add cheese, onions, cumin, garlic, and chilies to the shredded chicken.  Mix on low until evenly incorporated.
  4. Spread 1/4 cup of beans down the upper third of each tortilla.  Top the beans with 1/2 cup of chicken mixture.  Fold in the sides and roll up.
  5. Place rolled tortillas, seam side down, on a large rimmed baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.  Coat the tops of the burritos with cooking spray as well.
  6. Bake at 500° for 7 minutes.  (Optional: serve with green salsa.)
Yum yum yum yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? Awesome! Have at it, rock star.