December 2, 2012

Glitter Reindeer Silhouette

I saw a couple variations on the glitter reindeer silhouette, and really liked the idea- especially the framed one instead of the one on canvas.  Now, I know I bought some shiny poster board at Michael's, but I'm pretty sure that got left behind at the register.  Or may be hidden in my car or house somewhere.  Either way, it was nowhere to be found when crafty time rolled around, so I improvised.  I'm impressed with my ingenuity on this one.  I cut up a JCPenny's box lid to use as my canvas.  Shiny and seasonally appropriate: win!
Supplies
  • Reindeer silhouette to use as stencil.  I printed mine out from a Google image search of "reindeer silhouette".
  • Frame
  • Poster board (or box lid!)
  • Masking tape
  • Pencil or sharpie same color as your glitter
  • Glitter
  • Glue
  • Paint brush
  • Patience


Directions
  1. Cut out poster board to fit the frame.
  2. Put a small loop of tape on the back of your silhouette and tape to the center of your poster board.
  3. Trace the silhouette lightly.  Gently remove the silhouette so as not to tear the poster board.  Masking tape really works best for this.
  4. Fill the outline of the silhouette with glue.  I was generous with the glue, pouring in the center of the silhouette and a little bit down the legs and through the antlers.  I then used a paint brush to carefully trace the edges and skinny details.
  5. Shake on glitter- you can be very generous!
  6. Let sit at least 10-15 minutes before shaking off excess.  I tapped mine off almost immediately and I made my reindeer fat, the poor guy.  The glue shifted down to his belly and started to look a bit clumpy.
  7. Allow to dry completely (overnight is best) before framing.  I framed mine too soon, and it was... unfortunate.  The glue started to push around from the pressure of the frame and, well, my reindeer ended up being a boy reindeer.  Very obviously.  While hilarious, it wasn't so appropriate to have around my 2 year old.  I had to take apart the frame and wipe up the new addition with a wet paper towel.  Good news: plain Elmer's glue wipes up very easily!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You want to comment? Awesome! Have at it, rock star.